Was asked this morning how my work was going and found myself answering the question by saying "Im running a marathon but on target". The minute the words escaped my lips I felt so connected to them. They were honest.
When you're running a marathon you really don't stop and say - "Im doing great, life is wonderful, I feel amazing and I look amazing."
A marathon is a deliberate challenge in which there are moments of accomplishment, pushing, pain, stamina and exhaustion. In fact, have you seen what people look like during a marathon? They are red faced, sweaty and sometimes puffy making face expressions that look like strain and strife.
One thing to note though about marathons - there are moments of connection to ones self, hyper awareness of surroundings and a zone that one can find ones self in all of the sudden that feels so alive!
You know, I singed up for a major marathon (metaphorically) by taking on a promotion last year. And then right after that started this habit of stopping to pose and smile and each water tent, oh and tried to pick a running partner to run by side who was in a marathon of his own. Sometimes perspective is such a beautiful thing.
Im looking back now and I get it.
This is my marathon. I created this path and committed to it. And I'm going to see it through.
When I was exposed to problem analysis as part of the work I was doing, it felt like I had started this marathon with the wrong pair of shoes as an innovation worker. My new job exposed me to thousands of problems. And Six Sigma was the model being leveraged solve them.
I am so grateful for Appreciative Inquiry. Now wearing the right shoes, focused on my marathon, running this track on my own, and executing my deploy. Im not worried about anything other than the finish line. When it's done. I'll take another step back and think about what is next for me.
Today - Im at a water tent (metaphorically). I left town today, Im with good friends and Im writing this blog from a delightful hotel cafe. Off to enjoy a festival with food and music and most importantly, people I care about and who care very very much about me.
When you are on a marathon there are these people who cheer you on from the sidelines. I love those people. That is very kind of them. But, what I am finding is that there are a hand full of people that will jump in and run along side me for small stretches, or they will be waiting to hug me at the water tent. They are not part of my marathon but they love enough to know how to be there for me.
Anyone else right now, is distraction and weight.
The thing I find unique about these individuals being so supportive of me is that they are going to feel so good about me crossing the finish line. They will have been part of it. And Im so grateful that Im not having to do this alone after all.
No comments:
Post a Comment