Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Day 14 - What if I'm a hot air balloon?

I had a delightful conversation with a client this week where we discussed visualizing our purposes.

One of the things I do is hold a client's best self and purpose in mind for them all week and especially when speaking to them.  It's my way of ensuring what they are saying is aligned.  This visualization of who they are is something they create in my mind while they speak.  It is something I consider to be sacred, they adjust it as they grow but generally the concept remains very similar.

One of my clients was laughing so hard at the visualization I had for them and I promised not to share it but she offered up one for me in return.  As it turns out this person has known me for close to 14 years.  She has seen my roller-coaster life and career first hand and knows me very well.

She described me as a hot air balloon.  I busted up laughing, asking - "what?  are you saying Im full of hot air?"

She said - yes - yes you are, but it's so perfect!

You look out over the horizon and offer vision.  Sometimes you need to puff up to get a little higher and sometimes you need to deflate to lower the altitude but what you offer is such a peaceful and tranquil picture in the sky as you float through the changing winds.

I found this so timely considering my practice of the affirmation "Don't puff up, Don't Shrink, Stand your Sacred Ground".

I then imagined my life as one long journey in a hot air balloon and how beautiful that is.  It also speaks to why I can't always fit a ton of people in my basket all the time.  There isn't room.  What I have to offer is so much more impactful when I have that focus and perspective.

It reminds me of the Wizard of Oz.  So human behind this curtain.

Today I'm embracing this visual and as I add value to the lives around me I'm realizing that the best way for me to multiply impact is to focus on people who also create value for others, to empower people in ways that empower communities, businesses and organizations.

I was labeled a visionary leader this week as well and I had to take a step back and sit with that one.  When I fold that into sacred space it does align with the hot air balloon.  It's nothing I need to puff up about.

It's true, I belong in the sky.  To far from the ground and I miss out on some of the detail that I love.  Too close to the ground and my strengths become useless.  It's about the right altitude and trying various altitudes over varying terranes.   Right now, with my day job this air balloon is scaling a mountain that won't peak for another 6 months.  In other areas of my life it's slow and steady incremental gains, some of which are in anticipation for what's on the other side of this mountain.

Either way -

People will always come and the perspective I have to offer will always add value, and money will never be a problem or even a driving factor.

We all have our place, belong, and are needed.  It's our job to find out where and how and to give.  And to adapt to the changing winds that are inevitable.

How fortunate to be a hot air balloon.


No comments:

Post a Comment